Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Praise the Lord for Rick Steves’ travel books!

We are officially on our way to Florence via “the fast train” thanks to a self-service machine that actually takes credit cards, the Rick Steves’ Italy 2001 Appendix, and a kind information desk person. It was a little intense for 10 minutes after we bought the next ticket and only had less than 30 minutes before the train left. But here we are, seated (backwards no less) while I attempt to compose this entry, and condense the last 24 hours into one little post.

Valentine’s Day was AMAZING!! We had a long and fun walk through the streets of Rome to meet our tour guide for the Vatican tour. My original reaction to Mark’s inquiry of wanting to see the Vatican was “not really, I’m not Catholic anymore honey…that place doesn’t interest me that much.” Boy, am I glad that we went. We got to see a lot of art work in the museums, get a small sense of the magnitude of the Vatican Empire, and be amazed at the beauty of the Sistine Chapel. By the way…it apparently doesn’t matter what language you know, “no fotos” means no photos…but nobody really listens anyway. And it is quiet funny to be shushed by a bunch of Italian guards in the Sistine Chapel. :)



We stopped to have a little lunch before we headed to St. Peter’s Basilica. Um…this is what they call pizza. Mine was slightly plain, bread with mozzarella, mushrooms, and funny looking things Mark referred to as hot dogs (I didn’t eat them).

Then off we went to the Basilica. Yep…small ant like feeling inside would be the best way to describe it. It was absolutely beautiful, from the ornate floor with its vibrantly colored marble all the way to the mosaics at the very top of the dome. Yes, folks, we went all the way up on the spiraling, angled stairs. All 545 up (and I am not including the 4 that I took to go into the little nook to take a picture), and then back down again. The view from the top was incredible…seeing the entire city and all the other things we saw yesterday from a different view. The 10 euro workout was pretty good too…my calves still hurt.


Back to the hotel by taxi (now that was interesting, less horrifying than I thought it would be though) for a little rest before the adventure of trying to find a restaurant on Valentine’s Day. Mark managed a snooze while I worked on the computer (are you sensing the pattern). Then we got dressed up a little and headed out for a nice place. After about 30 different turns (only 6 of which I think were right), we finally found this cute little Taverna de Scalla. Mark insisted on sitting outside, under the heated umbrellas. It was a quant little eatery, with pretty decent food. We had the Valentine’s Day special, which is still way too much food than any human should ever eat let alone me. I ate a little of the antipasta fried vegetables (I can now say I have had eggplant), nothing of the prima piatta Ravioli stuffed with ricotta and spinach, half of the secondi piatta veal with potatoes and mushrooms (I can now say I have had veal as well), and a couple tastes of the dolci of real chocolate cake with strawberries, whip cream, chocolate drizzle and sprinkled powdered sugar (can you RICH?). All this was served with a white wine right away and champagne with dessert, followed by an “Americano coffee” for me and a lemoncello for Mark. We finished a large bottle of natural water while we were there too! I felt like exploding, I was so full.

Exhausted, cold, and very stuffed, we headed back to the hotel for a good night’s sleep. We called the kids just after 11pm our time (4 pm in the States) to say hello and give our love. The little man was sleeping, but got to hear that everyone is doing great. We are so glad they are in good hands while we are gone. Thank you, Wally & Teresa and Nana, for taking such good care of them!

I just want to share one more thing…as I left the Basilica yesterday, I was just in awe of the wonders, the sites I had seen so far. The weather was beautiful, the art was magnificent. I left with a song in my heart and on my lips… “Holy, Holy, is the Lord Almighty.” While we were inside the Basilica, there are a couple areas that are roped off for prayer, one with curtains. There are no pictures allowed in those two areas, but you can go in and say a prayer. Mark asked me if I wanted to, and I told him I was very lucky to have an amazing faith that allowed be to pray anywhere…even on this side of the ropes. While at dinner, Mark asked if I thought people needed to go to these huge place to feel like God is bigger than they are. I told him I think people need a place to go to feel His presence, a place to put Him if you will to make Him more real. I don’t understand that, because I know He is always there, everywhere I go, whenever I need him. I don’t need a kneeling bench or an altar. I don’t even need a cross. And the Church is not a building, it is the people…the group of believers who gather in His name to do His work. While I see all these Things creating by others, most to magnify themselves or someone else, I see the beauty that God behold for each of us…as long as we are ready to love Him.

God Bless!

Mailing some postcards at the Vatican...I hear their postal service is one of the best in the World!

Got a good picture of Mark in the Basilica...

Going up the Dome...all 545 stairs!

Inside the top of the dome, the mosaics are beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment